Blount International, Inc. is a global manufacturer and marketer of replacement parts, equipment, and accessories for the forestry, lawn, and garden; farm, ranch, and agriculture; and concrete cutting and finishing markets. Blount sells its products in more than 110 countries around the world.
As a leader in innovation and quality, Blount produces saw chains, bars and sprockets that are well respected in the chain saw and forestry industries and outdoor equipment accessories and parts for the garden and landscape industry.
BLOUNT Europe SA EMEA headquarters are based in Louvain-la-Neuve / Mont-St-Guibert, 20 km - South of Brussels.
The company’s mission is to create long term value for its shareholders through profitable growth and a culture of continuous improvement as a leader in its business segments.
For its Warehouse based in Courcelles, BLOUNT Europe is recruiting a (m/f):
Distribution Center Manager
This is a key management position. The Distribution Center (DC) Manager is responsible for all DC activities: receiving, put away, picking, packing and shipping. This DC will also be tasked with rework and product quality control activities from time to time. Additionally, product assembly and postponement activities are a key component of this operation.
This position is responsible for planning operations and activities, directing, controlling and coordinating the Courcelles Distribution Center within the boundaries of Limits of Authority. Develops and recommends policies and programs to guide the warehouse in managing and improving cost, quality, delivery and operating efficiency. Continually fosters developmental opportunities to maintain a competent team in the warehouse.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer/SVP Global Planning and Logistics (straight reporting line) - Based in the Blount International Headquarters located in Portland, Oregon
As Distribution Center Manager, you will be responsible for the following activities:
- Work with customer service, Product Line, Sales, and Planning to establish priorities.
- Establish, monitor and continually improve cost controls and budget related to the Courcelles DC operating costs
- Manage DC inbound and outbound activity to support high customer level goals.
- Manage the DC quality control programs and conduct rework projects as required
- Ensure safety, compliance, manage AEO and all legal requirements of the DC
- Manage procurement contracts for transportation, temp agencies and all other DC related negotiations
Leadership and Development
- Treat Team Members with respect and lead in accordance with the company’s core P4 values
- Provide guidance to subordinates by communicating and reinforcing strategic and tactical plans.
- Clarify plans, goals and objectives through team meetings at all levels.
- Maintain focus on Key Performance Indicators Objectives.
- Identify strengths and opportunities for improvement through informal discussions and formal review of job descriptions, annual BPA’s (Blount Performance Appraisals), recruitment and training plans in collaboration with HR team.
- Ensure that responsibilities, authorities and accountabilities of all direct subordinates are defined and understood
- Partner closely with local management team to create location-wide communications at the appropriate time
- Establish strong communication links within the team to include Daily Management System (DMS) meetings, 1:1 meetings with subordinates, and team meetings.
Work with Blount Europe Headquarters, Mont-Saint-Guibert (MSG)
- Participate in the leadership team activities of Blount’s European HQ in MSG.
- Proactively establish working relationships with the key functional areas at MSG.
- Encourage cross-functional visits and working sessions at the Courcelles DC to build teamwork, solve problems, and grow the business.
- Inform MSG of the DC’s operational concerns and challenges to gain alignment for solutions.
Ensure legal compliance
- Establish a safe work environment.
- Ensure compliance laws in relation to employee issues, Environmental, Health and Safety and business practices
- With the support of HR, advise/counsel/train subordinates and other employees on legal and compliance issues
- Audit and implement corrective actions
- Instill a continuous improvement culture focused on Lean Principles. Leads projects to plan, design, build, operate, maintain, monitor and improve processes relating to the distribution, quality control, and assembly/postponement
- Participates in the reengineering of existing processes to meet objectives
- Works globally as a team across all Blount DCs and the Global OpEx team to build common processes and systems across all DC’s
- Establish a strong working relationship with the European SAP team to support the DC operations.
- A Bachelor Degree, or a high school diploma is required
- 10 years of experience in a warehouse environment, is a basic requirement for this position.
A minimum of 5 years of direct supervision experience is required:
- Preparing and managing departmental budgets
- Supervising the activities of employees engaged in receiving, storing, testing and shipping, and assembling products or materials.
- Interviewing, selecting and training warehouse and supervisory personnel
- Planning, developing and implementing warehouse safety and security programs and activities
- Preparing or directing preparation of correspondence and reports
- Issuing shipping instructions and proving routing information to ensure that delivery times and locations are coordinated
- Conferring with departments to coordinate warehouse activities such as production, sales, records control and purchasing
- Experience: Knowledge of WMS is required. WMS in SAP experience is strongly preferred
- Possess a ‘continuous improvement” mindset. Experience in lean, 6 sigma, and/or kaizen methodology is preferred
- In depth understanding of distribution and logistics operations and methods.
- Broad range of knowledge of related environmental, health, safety, labor and business law. Strong knowledge of safety management with proven experience in establishing safe work environment for team members
- Demonstrates effectiveness in organization management that includes assuming responsibility; communication; resolving conflicts; decisive; develops commitment to company objectives
- Establishing motivational work environment.
- Requires a high activity level and sense of urgency to achieve performance targets.
- Must be highly customer service minded.
- Core competencies: demonstrated skills in continuous learning, flexibility, customer focus, quality commitment and good relationships are required.
- Fluent in French and English – ability to conduct business in English
Travel Requirements: ability to travel to Stuttgart, Portland, Chicago and other location if necessary is required (up to 25%).