Who & Where Are We?
DHL Express, worldwide leader in logistics and express services and a subsidiary of Deutsche Post AG (DPAG), is currently searching for a highly motivated qualified lawyer wishing to work within the Global Aviation Legal Department based in Brussels, Belgium.
The Aviation Legal Department is small, dedicated specialist team operating within a wider network of in excess of 220 in-house lawyers based in multiple jurisdictions around the globe. We are currently expanding in response to DHL’s current and future growth plans. The Team require a further Aviation Legal Counsel with between 2 to 5 years post qualification experience.
Depending upon your PQE, you will have had exposure to a number areas of aviation law practice.
What Do We Do?
The Team provides efficient legal support to all of DHL’s global airline operations, and all DPAG group entities that provide or procure air transportation for the DHL network around the World. DHL currently operate in excess of 170 aircraft. The Team’s remit is wholly international.
What Skills Do You Need?
- need to quickly understand and become commercially aware of your clients’ goals and be able to respond accordingly;
- deal with all levels of management, both within Express and DPAG, effective at working in close liaison with the management team;
- be capable of grasping and explaining complex legal structures and issues in a straightforward manner;
- identify problems quickly, suggesting and implementing realistic solutions;
- possess the necessary gravitas to engender the confidence of your colleagues, excellent interpersonal relationship skills and cross cultural sensitivity;
- have extensive negotiation skills, and be equally capable of exercising diplomacy in your dealings with colleagues where necessary;
- be a self-starter, comfortable working with minimal supervision after any necessary training, whilst at the same time relishing the opportunity afforded by working within a collegiate atmosphere that values team players;
- be willing and able to provide direct legal support with day to day matters that will cross your desk, whilst at the same time supporting your business colleagues in multi million dollar transactions;
- possess project management skills, and a demonstrable ability to work under pressure according to tight timescales;
- have an excellent grasp of written and spoken English;
What Will You Do?
Your workload will encompass all aspects of aviation law insofar as it affects DHL’s aviation network operations. The Team seeks to retain all legal work in-house wherever possible, so you will be comfortable with the quality of your own advice. In the last year, the Team has advised on the following:
- negotiation and preparation of documentation required in connection with the acquisition and disposal of new and used aircraft, engines and other major asset items;
- negotiation of aircraft and asset operating/dry leases, sub-leases, wet leases, charters, and block space arrangements etc.;
- aircraft conversion arrangements facilitating the introduction of new aircraft types to the market;
- maintenance agreements for engine, aircraft and related equipment;
- establishing new airline operations and supporting operating agreements;
- facilitating the leasing of DHL aircraft assets to DHL’s preferred airline suppliers;
- advising upon interline relationships, ground handling, pilot secondment and fuel supply agreements, whether bespoke or based on industry accepted documentation;
- participation in the aviation crisis control programme and dealing with aircraft related incidents;
- establishing air networks or co-operative ventures, code share relationships, long term capacity commitments;
You will also advise upon, or be the principal point of contact for queries relating to, risk and insurance, taxation, customs and finance related queries, and will liaise with governmental aviation agencies in transactions that you may be managing on behalf of your business peers. You will also assist auditors, manage external advisers where required, and will frequently deal with the organisations business suppliers and customers. When you have time, you will provide training on legal matters to your business colleagues.
What Other Attributes Do You Have?
- be a qualified lawyer with at least 2 years post-qualification experience ideally from within a common law jurisdiction and with an extensive international workload, using your commercial drafting skills and aviation law background;
- have proven expertise in executing complex projects;
- be good at what you do!
What Do We Offer?
Reporting to the Global Aviation Legal Director, you will:
- benefit from the opportunity to further specialise in an interesting and compelling area of law that will constantly test your knowledge, skills and commercial acumen;
- have the chance to be part of ground breaking management team in one of the world’s largest airlines that is in the throes of an exciting phase of development;
- enjoy frequent travel opportunities;